The Cedars School opened in 2013 and is set in attractive parkland. There are extensive sports facilities including rugby, football and cricket pitches. The school has excellent travel links and is only a 6 minute Tramlink journey from East Croydon and then a short walk from Lloyd Park Tramlink Stop.
There has been an estate in the area as far back as 1221, recorded as being held by Richard of Coombe. In Elizabethan times, it was known as Broad Coombe. In the 17th century, it was owned by the brothers of William Harvey who was famous for being the first to described the circulation of blood.
During its history the house we know today as The Cedars was called Coombe House and parts date back to 1761, it is a Grade II listed building. previously there was an older house – the Harveys’ home. William Harvey stayed at the house frequently and there is a 145 ft-deep well in the grounds of the house which was said to have been used by the pilgrims travelling to Canterbury on their journey to join the Pilgrims’ Way, having come via the Archbishop’s Croydon Palace. A Grade II listed brick icehouse is also in the grounds.
Substantial changes were made to the house in the 1830s. It was bought in the 1890s by Frank Lloyd, a newspaper magnate. His father Edward Lloyd founded Lloyd Weekly Newspaper, later known as The Sunday News, and also the Daily Chronicle. He lived in Coombe House for 35 years until his death in 1927. Lloyd Park is located next to the estate was created from land bequeathed by Lloyd and is named after him. The house was owned by an NHS Trust and was called Geoffrey Harris House, before being acquired by the PACT Educational Trust and in September 2013 opened as The Cedars School.