The study of a modern foreign language at GCSE level aims to:
- To develop knowledge and understanding of countries and communities where the language is spoken
- To develop positive attitudes to the learning of the language
- To develop the ability to communicate effectively in the chosen language through both the spoken and written word, using a range of vocabulary and structures
- To develop a good knowledge and understanding of the grammar and vocabulary and the ability to apply it in a variety of relevant contexts
- To provide a suitable foundation to enable pupils to further study at AS and A2 levels and/or practical, professional use of the language
The GCSE course combines an emphasis on communication skills with reward for practical knowledge and understanding of language structures and grammar. Rather than develop language within numerous topic areas, students will be encouraged to adapt and apply the language to different contexts and situations.